Winslow Memorial Park
PARK DOG POLICY
- Dogs must be on leash at all times from May 1st – November 1st
- Dogs must be leashed on the main rd. (Winslow Park Way) through the park and in all parking areas year round. Please use side roads and trails when letting your dog run off leash.
- Dogs must always be under the owner’s voice control and within a reasonable distance of the owner (if you can’t see them or aren’t paying attention, you can’t pick up after them).
- All dog waste must be picked up and deposited into one of the trash receptacles on premises or removed from the park. There are generally dog bags available at the gate and near the foot washing station, but please try to make sure you are always adequately equipped.
- Owners must never allow their dog(s) to become a nuisance to other users of the park or their pets.
- To avoid accidents and allow residents and service personnel passage to homes and park property, please take extra care when walking on the main road between the gate and the point.
- Dogs are NEVER allowed on the beach or on the playground.
- Dogs are not to be on any of the privately owned properties within the park gates. (all houses and driveways beyond the camping area on the right)
Excerpts from the
“Dog Ordinance of the Town of Freeport, Maine”
Section 37-203 Definitions
- 203.1 "At Large" means off the premises of the owner and not under the control of any person by means of personal presence and attention as will reasonably control the conduct of such dog.
- 203.2 "Owner" means any person, firm, association, partnership, or corporation owning, controlling, keeping or harboring a dog.
- 203.3 "Nuisance" shall mean a dog which by loud, frequent, and habitual barking, howling or yelping, disturbs the peace, or a dog which chases persons or vehicles, or a dog which causes damage to persons or property
Section 37-204 Regulations
- 204.1 No dog shall be kept within the limits of the Town unless such dog shall have been licensed and such license is displayed by its owner in accordance with the statutes of the state. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any dog belonging to an out of state resident, visiting within the town, without the intention of becoming a resident, but the owner of such a dog shall comply with the remaining provisions of this article.
- 204.2 An owner shall not permit a nuisance.
- 204.3 Dangerous dogs shall be confined in a secure enclosure or on a chain or leash controlled by the owner or custodian at all times.
- 204.4 It shall be unlawful for any dog, licensed or unlicensed, to run at large, except when used for hunting.
- 204.6 An owner must remove and dispose of any feces left by his/her animal on any sidewalk, street, beach, public property or private property (other than the property of the owner of the animal or of a person who has consented to the presence of the animal on his or her property) and deposit such feces into appropriate litter receptacle. An owner whose animal is present on any property from which the animal’s feces is required to be removed pursuant to this section must have in his or her possession a plastic bag or similar utensil not part of the human body for collecting and removing the feces. This regulation shall not apply to any person who, by reason of physical handicap, is unable to comply with the requirement.
Thank you for following these basic rules and insuring that the park be a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for all visitors.