Wharfing Out

An application for wharfing approval must be made to the Coastal Waters Commission with reference to the relevant criteria, below: 


1) The Town of Freeport wharfing out permit application consists of pages 51, 55, 59, 60, & 69 of the application that is utilized by the Department of Environmental Protection Natural Resources Protection Act (DEP-NRPA). The pages that the town uses are attached.

2) If you require the entire DEP-NRPA document, it may be found by following this link: https://www.maine.gov/dep/land/nrpa/nrpabook.pdf.

3) Submit eight (8) completed wharfing out permit applications along with: a. Eight (8) sets of construction prints, 11” x 17” preferred, with sufficient clarity to determine ordinance compliance. b. A Plot Plan showing the proposed construction location and measurements from all property lines. c. Visual map/Lat-Lon of proposed wharf d. Photographs of proposed site, including aerial photographs, of available. e. Description of normal high water and low water marks in relation to proposed float. f. Copies of signed and received certified letter(s) sent to abutters. g. One (1) copy of recorded Deed to determine right, title and interest.

4) It is the applicant’s responsibility to check with other agencies to see if permits are required (ie. Department of Environmental Protection and Army Corps of Engineers). Copies of such permits applications shall be included with the wharfing out permit submission package.

5) The applicant is responsible for researching all deed restrictions, covenants, and/or subdivision notes which may affect their property over and above Town standards.

By signing and submitting an NRPA application to the Harbormaster, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the Ordinance and these requirements.

For more information, please read the Coastal Waters Ordinance.