Town of Freeport
The Harbormaster carries out the enforcement of State and local regulations pertaining to harbor, waterfront and watercraft.

Hours & Contact Information

Office Hours:
On call 24 hours

Office Telephone: office: 207-865-4546 - Cell: 751-4691
Interim Harbormaster: Charles Tetreau |

More information can be found here.

The Harbormaster is responsible for enforcement of State and Local ordinances, primarily the Coastal Waters Ordinance. Work involves responsibility for condition of all waterfront structures, overseeing and regulation of the use of all moorings and enforcement of orders of the town council, town manager and Coastal Waters Commission.

Application for wharfing approval must be made to the Coastal Waters Commission with reference to the appropriate wharfing out criteria. Approval by the Committee must be made PRIOR to application to any other outside agency.

The signing and submittal of application to the Harbormaster shall be recognized by the Town and the Coastal Waters Commission that the applicant has read and understood the Ordinance and this document. If an applicant applies to an outside agency prior to approval by the Coastal Waters Commission, it is violation of the Town’s Ordinance.

For more information, take a moment to read the Coastal Waters Ordinance. particularly pages 16-18.

Application for Harraseeket River mooring Waiting List
Application for Mooring outside the Harraseeket

State of Maine law requires boat owners who keep their boats kept in the water more than 75 consecutive days to pay an excise tax on that boat. This includes federally documented vessels. Please contact the Harbormaster regarding boat questions, and the finance department regarding excise tax questions. Excise tax is due no later than July 1 to the Town in which you reside or keep your boat. 12 M.R.S.A. Section 7791 , 36 M.R.S.A. Section 1504, 12 M.R.S.A. Section 7801 (28).

Please note that Boat excise tax must be paid by a resident to the tax collector of their town before registration. A nonresident, prior to registering a motorboat which is located in Maine more than 75 days during a calendar year, must pay an excise tax to the Maine town where the boat is principally moored, docked or located. If the boat is exempt from tax, a tax exemption form must be completed by the owner and submitted with registration application and registration fee.

Mooring Applications due back March 1.

Maine Harbors: