Town of Freeport
The Town of Freeport has a Codes Enforcement Office to permit and enforce all land use and construction activities.

Hours & Contact Information

Office Hours:
Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m.- 6:00 p.m.

Office Telephone: 207-865-4743 ext. 102 | Fax: 207-865-0929

Mailing Address: 30 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032

Codes Enforcement Officer: Fred Reeder |

The Town has a comprehensive set of ordinances that regulate construction, traffic, and other public activity in town. You may view these documents here.

Construction codes:
These have been recently updated as mandated by the State of Maine and are in effect in Freeport:

2009 International Residential Code
2009 International Bldg. Code
2009 International Energy Conservation Code
ASHRAE 62.2 on Residential Ventilation
ASHRAE 62.1 on Commercial Ventilation
ASTME 14675 on Residential Radon

Electric - Current N.E.C. (National Electric Code)

Plumbing - 2009 Uniform Plumbing Code

FOR MORE information, visit the state's website on construction codes.

A fee for each plan examination, building permit, and sign shall be paid in accordance with the following schedule and shall be non-refundable.

feesandfines 12-16-14.pdf>>

What type of permits are required and issued by the Code Office?
In addition to issuing all land use and construction permits, other permits issued by this Department include, but are not limited to: plumbing permits, septic permits, peddler's permits (on private property), sign permits, directional sign permits, banner permits, and temporary activity permits.

When is a building permit required?
Building permits are required for any structural work or change of use. A permit may also be required for building alterations. Always check with the Codes Officer prior to starting a construction project of any size.

How long does it take to get a building permit approved?
Once a complete application packet is submitted, a residential building permit is usually issued within a week and sometimes even sooner. Commercial building permits may take up to two weeks.

When is an electrical permit required?
An electrical permit is required when any new wiring is done.

When is a plumbing permit required?
A plumbing permit is required for any water or waste piping. A permit is not required to change a fixture such as a faucet.

Does the Town limit the number of building permits issued each year?
No, at this time there is not limit per year.

Does the Town have Impact Fees?
Yes, the Town does have a development Impact fee. This fee is charged for all new construction over 1,000 square feet and for the construction of any new road. Please see the Fees and Fines Schedule (under Forms and Applications, above) to review the current fees.

When and how should I call for an inspection?
Required inspections are indicated on the building permits. Call the Codes Office to schedule an inspection (865-4743, ext. 102). For electrical inspections, please call Arthur Osgood, Electrical Inspector, at 787-4104.

How much lead-time is needed for an inspection?
For Building and Plumbing inspections allow one day. For electrical inspections allow two business days.

When is a certificate of occupancy required?
A certificate of occupancy is required to occupy any new space or for a change of use. Please refer to the Certificate Of Occupancy Checklist (under Forms and Applications, above) to see what is required for a C.O. to be issued.

What do I do if I don't agree with a decision of the Codes Enforcement Officer?
Any decision of the Codes Enforcement Officer can be appealed to the Board of Appeals within 30 days of that decision.

How can I find a licensed site evaluator to design a septic system for me?
Please visit the State's website for a downloadable list.

Where can I get state information on certifying compliance with the energy and ventilation codes?
Go to the state website for a Helpful Page.

Do you have a list of third party inspectors that can certify my compliance?
Please click this link to the state website for assistance.

  1. Issue all land use and construction permits
    1. Review zoning, land and shoreland
    2. Review building plans and meet with architects and builders
    3. Review plumbing compliances
    4. Review handicap (architects certification)
    5. Check State permits - highway, fire marshall's
    6. Check flood hazard
    7. Review any required prior board approvals
      1. Project Review Board
      2. Board of Appeals
      3. Planning Board
      4. Town Council

    8. Issue permits (building, plumbing, electric, Certificate of Occupancy, signage.

  2. Inspections
    1. Building (footings, drains, frame, c.o.)
    2. Plumbing, internal
    3. Septic, external
    4. Electrical
    5. Zoning
    6. Investigate complaints (zoning and building)
    7. Routine sign inspections
    8. General review

  3. Enforcement
    1. Documentation and notification of violation, action necessary to correct
    2. Renotification
    3. Documentation and hand-over for enforcement action
    4. Document and prepare for any court action

  4. Miscellaneous
    1. Review peddlers' applications
    2. Review and issue temporary activity permits
    3. Review, update and bill Directional Sign Permits yearly
    4. Issue Flood Plain advice and letters
    5. Document Junkyard compliance (yearly)
    6. Review and do State and Federal Building reports (monthly)